What is the working title of the book?
My last book, Ghost Fargo, came out a couple years ago. Since then, I’ve been working on three main projects; the most finished thing, the thing that’s just recently starting to see others’ eyes, is this project which is now called The Threatened Everything.
Where did the idea come from for the book?
Every poem seems to be oeneric and/or ekphrastic. I became a single mother to my son at an age when many people are giddy to drink in bars with their own IDs. When he recently became an adult, my sense of identity fractured. Myths and dreams and art helped, so I wrote from them.
What genre does your book fall under?
What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition?
Each of the sections is a different manifestation of a self and should be a connected short.
1. In the opening poem, Kimsooja would play herself, and Christopher Walken would play Martin Heidegger. I’d do my best to support them by playing the minor character of myself. And the baby spiders.
2. I’d like Isabella Rosellini to be the lead in Because of the Curses. With her glass beer stein legs from Guy Maddin’s movie The Saddest Music in the World. I’ll be the gaffer.
3. In Empty Next Syndrome, twin broken mothers Nancy Botwin (Mary Louise Parker’s character on Weeds) and Mother Theresa work it out! I’ll do their stunts.
4. River Sonnets: Shirley MacLaine, but she’s not acting. I’ll be craft services.
5. Field Guide for Austerity and Surroundings: Brit Marling from Another Earth.
6. The voices of Baubo and Ame-no-Uzume, two goddesses of laughter, dictated The Laughing Club. They’re fierce and riotous and raunchy, and should be summoned to play themselves. The characters from all the other sections make cameos. I’ll be the props mistress.
Fun! I did NOT expect to spend the most time on this response!
What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?
Burst forth with me/ in this narrow vista/ of the threatened everything.
How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript?
3 years? 5 years? 23 years? I’m not sure. I’m a ruminator.
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My son. Jack Walsh. The shitty warmongers. Kimsooja. Alison Morse. Nightmares. Blessings. Osama bid Laden. My physical person. 100 Thousand Poets for Change. Forests. Texting deaths. Laughter. Incomprehensible freedom. Searching for a solid reason to keep living. Enormous love.
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
What piques the interest of others is almost never what I expect!
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
What a mystery!
Now, it's my turn to tag five people!There's a good chance you've already been tagged. Let me know!